Saturday, February 4, 2017

Ruthless (Playboys in Love, #2)Ruthless by Gina L. Maxwell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

People call me Ruthless for a reason.

Whether I’m in the court room or in the bedroom, my reputation is well-earned. I’m either working hard, working out, or working my way into some woman's panties. But none of them share my particular kink, and I walk away feeling unsatisfied.

Until I met her.

She’s a friend of a friend, which makes her off-limits in my book. But then temptation had me by the balls and I had her up against a wall.

My plan was avoidance, but that got blown to sh*t when my firm hired her as a new junior attorney. Now I’m her boss, and I’m supposed to act like I don’t want to bend her over my desk every five minutes.

But I’ve never held myself back with anything before, so consequences be da*#ed. It’s time to take what I want and show her how da$n good it feels...to be ruthless.

This book was well-written but it had me skimming over it. I'm a book-reviewer which means I have to read books and review them based on what I think of the authors talents at writing and the storyline. This book was an exceptional book. So why the 4 stars? Well, because as a person of moral fiber and one who's not really into the whole Fifty Shades of Grey style writing (yes, I know there are still some out there who haven't seen the movie nor want too) I just didn't like all the taboo sex, language and crudeness. I know that as a reviewer I have to be somewhat removed when reading a book and see the whole picture, however I also feel like an author could tap into so many more outlets of people if they had 2 separate versions of a book. Kind of how they put out different languages...except they would take some profanity out and sex and market it to people who are a little more subtle in their views. Now, for those who like ALL of that - this is the book for you. It had a good plot, a lot of angst with a guy who thought he couldn't love and a misunderstanding that I thought had been used before. This didn't detract from what readers will undoubtedly like about the book...being that it had a strong heroine who referred to herself as a "honey badger" and a hero who called her his "wildcat." The pace didn't slow down until about 76 percent which is where the misunderstanding takes place and switches to 3 months in the future and then it picks up again with another misunderstanding. I'm not a fan of "misunderstandings" in general, I think in real life - we just yell, throw things and moan until it's out in the open. At least in my house we do! I would tell my boss to read it because she's a fiend of erotic romance and is always in search of good authors. I genuinely believe that Gina Maxwell is an awesome writer and can tap into some funny, humorous writing and so I will continue to read her. I may skip over some stuff but I will continue to read her books because no one writes a hero like her. I loved Roman's best friend in this, Austin and know that the topic of his book is going to be a tough one to tackle. I'm not exactly sure how she'll do it but I'm sure she'll do it with some humor in it!!

I was given a copy of this ARC from the publisher on Netgalley for a honest review. All of the above comments are my express opinions and no one else's.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment